More than one billion people around the world are affected by neglected tropical diseases (NTDs). NTDs mostly occur in tropical climates and disproportionately affect people who are already vulnerable, whether due to poverty or marginalization. These diseases are neglected because they are not profitable to research, so there is too little research for better treatments and diagnostics.
As part of our work developing urgently needed treatments for people with neglected diseases, World NTD Day is an important moment for us to raise awareness.
Our call for innovation to eliminate NTDs!
We used social media to raise awareness for the people affected by NTDs and the need for innovation to develop better treatments for these diseases. Thank you to all the supporters who helped us advocate for #InnovatingTogether to end the neglect.
Raising awareness around the world
We gathered with partners, healthcare providers, and communities around the world to celebrate the achievements we have made so far and discuss ways to overcome the challenges that still prevent medical innovation from reaching people living with NTDs.
Neglected tropical diseases in the media
On the occasion of World NTD Day, we shared messages through editorial opinion articles:
- 세계 10억 명을 위한 소외질병 연구 지원, 한국이 필요하다 by Dr Luis Pizarro, Executive Director of DNDi, published in Segye Ilbo
We were pleased to see the world’s media pay greater attention to NTDs with some prominent reporting:
- Infobae: Día Mundial de las Enfermedades Tropicales Desatendidas: qué son y por qué es importante prevenir y controlar los brotes
- DW: India on the verge of eliminating ‘black fever’ kala-azar
- RFI: Journée Mondiale des Maladies Tropicales Négligées
- Citizen TV Kenya: Kenya seeks to eradicate 20 neglected tropical diseases
- Punto Por Punto: OMS urge inversión para tratar enfermedades tropicales que afectan a localidades pobres
- Radio Okapi: Quelles sont les avancées et les défis à relever dans la lutte contre les MTN ?
- Astro Awani: NTD DAY: Expanding research into Dengue treatment