The Dengue Alliance, launched in 2022, is a global partnership led by institutions from dengue-endemic countries that aims to develop affordable and accessible treatments for dengue.
Dengue, a climate-sensitive neglected tropical disease, is one of the top ten threats to global public health worldwide. Despite an estimated 390 million infections each year in more than 100 countries, there is no specific treatment available. More than 70% of the disease burden is estimated to be in Asia, with rapidly growing incidence in other parts of the world – in particular the Americas which exceeded 3 million infections in 2019.
The Dengue Alliance works on joint projects to progress pre-clinical investigations of potential dengue treatments, test the efficacy of repurposed drug candidates, and implement clinical trials of the most promising drug candidates. At the same time, Alliance members coordinate efforts to help overcome knowledge gaps and expedite clinical research and regulatory approvals, including addressing unmet needs on diagnostics. The partnership also focuses on raising funds and mobilizing resources while openly sharing research knowledge.
News & resources
- 6 September 2023 - Consider This: Public health – tackling dengue through collaboration, Astro AWANI
- 4 September 2023 - Dengue Alliance sets goal to deliver treatment within 5 years, The Pioneer
- 1 September 2023 - A global dengue coalition to deliver treatment within 5 years: Lancet comment, Press Trust of India
- 31 August 2023 - Treatments for dengue: a Global Dengue Alliance to address unmet needs, The Lancet Global Health
- 15 April 2023 - El fuerte avance del dengue en los últimos 50 años: cuáles son las estrategias científicas en América para frenarlo, Infobae
- 20 February 2023 - First in-person Dengue Alliance meeting brings together experts from dengue-endemic countries to develop treatments for a growing viral threat
- 29 April 2022 - Ministry of Health, Malaysia and Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative combine forces to lead the battle against dengue
- 26 January 2022 - New global research partnership to find treatment for dengue – DNDi
Get our latest news, personal stories, research articles, and job opportunities.