LEAP: 4 Years and Going Strong...
Some of the LEAP Platform's Accomplishments To-date Include:
- Assessment of regional capacity in R&D for neglected diseases
- Development of the LEAP 0104 Paromomycin multi-centre clinical trial comparing Paromomycin, Sodium Stibogluconate (SSG), and a combination of Paromomycin and SSG for treatment of VL
- Two clinical trial sites established in Ethiopia, 2 in Sudan, 1 in Kenya and 1 future site in Uganda
- Training of clinical monitors, Data and Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) members and investigators in good clinical practice (GCP)
- Regular communications network established with a newsletter and biannual meetings
- Clinical trial capacity strengthening in Ethiopia, Kenya, Sudan, and Uganda
- Building and opening the leishmaniasis Research and Treatment Centre in Arba Minch, and Gondar, Ethiopia
- Treatment centre/laboratory training under construction, planned for Dooka (opening in 2008)
- Capacity strengthening of parasite classification research through technology transfer and training
- Development and roll-out of national VL treatment guidelines in Ethiopia.