Purpose of the position
DNDi is seeking a Head that will be a member of the DNDi Latin America (LATAM) Senior Management team as well as a member of the global External Affairs leadership team.
Guided by the DNDi LATAM Director and the DNDi global External Affairs directorate, and in collaboration with peers, the person will define and oversee the implementation of the regional strategy for external affairs, including visibility, positioning, influencing, resource mobilization and stakeholders engagement.
While guiding and supporting the engagement of key institutions and individuals in the region, such as donors, state authorities and policymakers, the role steers fundraising, policy advocacy and external communications efforts, in support of research and public health innovation to enable affordable and equitable access to treatment.
Specific job responsibilities
Responsibilities for the Head role include:
Strategy and planning
Designs and seeks alignment on the external affairs multi-year strategy and the annual plans, with guidance from the DNDi LATAM Director and the DNDi External Affairs Director, and in collaboration with peers. Oversees their effective implementation. The role also proactively contributes to the overall regional strategy and multi-year roadmap and serves as strategic advisor to the Regional Director and the LATAM senior management team.
Expands the reach and influence of DNDi LATAM and the power of its stakeholders and champions, including key national institutions, international organizations, scientific and civil society partners, development banks, and philanthropic groups as DNDi advocates for neglected patients, and seeks to influence policy change while securing resourcing commitments. This will entail:
- Defining the advocacy agenda and priority settings in stakeholders engagement, with guidance from the DNDi LATAM Director and the DNDi External Affairs director, and in collaboration with peers.
- Leading in person the relationship with several key stakeholders, while orchestrating the proactive outreach and stewardship of a broader range of partners and champions.
- Supporting regional and program leaders to represent DNDi LATAM in external meetings and convenings to promote the organization, influence policy discussions, and identify potential areas for partnership and donor engagement.
- Guiding the LATAM program leaders and the Communication team in the development of communication tools that effectively promote DNDi’s and GARDP priority advocacy agendas.
External affairs activities leadership and oversight:
Oversees all aspects of implementation by the respective teams while developing a collaborative approach to cross-cutting components of the external affairs agenda.
- Visibility: Defines priorities in alignment with the regional leadership and global Communication leads. Guides and supervises a small team of communication professionals in the implementation of planned activities. Contributes to major deliverables. Acts as the Senior Public Relations representative for the region and takes part in major regional and global communications efforts.
- Resource development: Develops and implements fundraising outreach strategies aiming at enhance regional funding and collaborative funding, and ensures proactive and effective donor relations while guiding and supervising a small team of fundraising professionals. Contributes to major fundraising deliverables.
- Policy advocacy: Defines priorities in alignment with the regional leadership and global policy leads to support a more needs driven and equitable innovation ecosystem. Provides guidance and supervision to the policy consultant/staff, and contributes to the major policy deliverables.
The above list of responsibilities is not exhaustive, and you may be required to undertake other responsibilities appropriate to the grade. This job description may be subject to review.
- Over 10 years of relevant senior role experience including the leadership of an external affairs function in an international setting
- Significant experience in the global health environment preferred
- Track record of success in resource mobilisation, policy, or institutional development
- Established relationships and networks with key stakeholders including policymakers, donors, journalists, and public health leaders in the region
- Demonstrated strategic perspective on external affairs and leadership skills, including the ability to work under pressure
- Commitment to the work of DNDi LATAM and Our Mission
- Dedicated to promoting a culture free of bias and injustice, putting equity at the core of all decisions and actions
- Senior executive experience in an international setting
- Fluency in Portuguese and Spanish
- High proficiency in English
Location and travel
The Head may work in a hybrid mode in the Rio de Janeiro - Brazil. Must also be willing and able to travel frequently across Latin América and globally (at least twice annually).
- Please submit your application using the online form
- Deadline for application: accepting applications until 01 October 2023
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Application submission for this position may close early if we have enough suitable applicants
The Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is an international, not-for-profit research and development (R&D) organization that develops and delivers new treatments for neglected diseases affecting millions of the world’s poorest people.
Together with more than 200 public research and industry allies worldwide, we use the power of partnership, innovation, open science, and advocacy to find solutions to a great injustice: the lack of medicines for life-threatening diseases that disproportionately impact poor and marginalized people. Driven by collaboration, not competition, and by patients’ needs, not profits, we promote equitable access, foster inclusive and sustainable solutions, and advocate for a more effective global biomedical R&D system that meets the needs of neglected patients.
With more than 250 employees of 33 nationalities located in nine offices on four continents, DNDi is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential parts of our culture and key drivers of our success. We encourage candidates of diverse profiles and backgrounds to apply.
Counting Brazil’s Fiocruz as a founding member and numerous collaborations with science and access leaders in Latin American region, DNDi established itself in Rio de Janeiro in 2004. An integral part of DNDi’s global network, DNDi Latin America nurtures R&D and access partnerships in the broad region eco-systems, including for Chagas disease, leishmaniasis, hepatitis C and Dengue, while contributing to DNDi's global strategy. It also undertakes advocacy in support of neglected patients and leads capacity-building projects through multi-country clinical research and drug discovery platforms, including the Chagas Clinical Research Platform and RedeLEISH and the Lead Optimization Latin America (LOLA).
The External Affairs Department drives DNDi’s visibility, influence, and financial sustainability. Its teams (Policy Advocacy, Communications, and External Relations] ensure that DNDi is visible and respected in influential circles, supported by committed stakeholders, and successful in securing the resources needed to deliver on its mission, while being effective in driving policy change as it advocates for neglected patients.