The Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is an international, not-for-profit research and development (R&D) organization that develops and delivers new treatments for neglected diseases that affect millions of the world’s poorest people.
Together with more than 200 public research and industry allies worldwide, we use the power of partnership, innovation, open science, and advocacy to find solutions to a great injustice: the lack of medicines for life-threatening diseases that disproportionately impact poor and marginalized people. Driven by collaboration, not competition, and by patients’ needs, not profits, we promote equitable access, foster inclusive and sustainable solutions, and advocate for a more effective global biomedical R&D system that meets the needs of neglected patients.
Since our inception, DNDi has delivered nine new treatments for people with sleeping sickness, visceral leishmaniasis, Chagas disease, paediatric HIV, hepatitis C, and malaria that have saved millions of lives. We now aim to deliver an additional 15-18 new treatments by 2028 – addressing R&D gaps for neglected tropical diseases and viral infections, including pandemic-prone and climate-sensitive diseases.
With 250 employees of 37 nationalities located in nine offices on four continents, DNDi is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential parts of our culture and key drivers of our success. We encourage candidates of diverse profiles and backgrounds to apply.
DNDi Africa was established in 2003, and is based at Tetezi Towers, 3rd Floor, George Padmore Road, Kilimani area in Nairobi. This DNDi regional office conducts R&D projects in the region, including clinical activities and data management for clinical trials for treatments for leishmaniasis, paediatric HIV, mycetoma, and others. It also leads capacity building projects through multi-country research platforms.
Purpose of the position
The Senior M&E Program Manager will have responsibility for all aspects of monitoring and evaluating DNDi activities. S/he must be able to monitor progress of individual projects and assess the performance of programs comprised of multiple projects. In addition, s/he must be able to aggregate organization-wide data to monitor DNDi’s progress against its own overall global M&E framework and log frames to evaluate DNDi performance overall. The position must also be able to provide strategic input into shaping organizational indicators for a 5-to-8 years organization-wide strategy and be able to develop and implement an M&E framework and log frames for the same.
Specific job responsibilities
- Lead the design and implementation of DNDi’s M&E activities.
- Coordinate an international network of M&E focal points within DNDi to ensure timely, accurate reporting of high-quality data on DNDi’s projects and programmes
- Define the appropriate organization and governance, incl. roles and responsibilities all along the chain from data collection to impact evaluation and reporting at project, programme and global/strategic level at DNDi
- Provide strategic advice and guidance on how to translate evidence generated into the overall DNDi M&E framework
- Design and implement a framework integrating M&E at project/programme level and the monitoring of the Strategic plan execution, to inform the strategic decision-making process at DNDi’s Executive team level
- Design, develop, and deploy tools, protocols and procedures for data collection, performance monitoring, and impact evaluation, incl. for new activities or projects
- Develop data collection and analysis strategies with project/programme management teams, leverage internal expertise or manage consultants to carry out these activities
- Ensure continuous improvement in M&E practice and tools at all levels of the organization and to all teams at DNDi through technical support, training, and coaching
- Ensure technical rigor of programme data collection, management, analysis, and reporting
- Work with all external partners (governments, academic institutions, private companies) to coordinate data gathering, analysis, and reporting for collaborative projects
- Coordinate with Fundraising for M&E components of funding proposals, and to ensure smooth reporting of data to funders
- Coordinate with Operations Global team and External Affairs for M&E components of Annual Strategic performance evaluation and reporting to DNDi’s stakeholders
- Contribute to key scientific publications and conference presentations as appropriate.
- Contribute to fostering sustainable capabilities for M&E in project countries.
The above list of responsibilities is not exhaustive, and you may be required to undertake other responsibilities appropriate to your grade. This job description may be subject to review.
- The Senior Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Program Manager reports to the Strategy and Operations Director, with a dotted line to the Head of Operations of the Africa Regional Office in Nairobi
- Works with a variety of teams and regional offices in DNDi, including disease teams and external fundraising
- External stakeholders including researchers, health officials, and civil society
- This role promotes programmes and maintains productive relationships by projecting the image of a credible partner and ensures commitment of partners
Skills and attributes
- Very strong ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Very clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates strong judgment and problem solving competencies
- Very strong communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments
- Very strong ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural team
- Very well organized and structured
- Very strong analytical skills
- Very strong ability to lead project delivery
- Very strong ability to manage large size projects with budget management
- Strong strategic thinking and leadership abilities
- Very strong management, negotiation, and advocacy skills
- Very strong ability to exercise high degree of independence to support programme delivery and explore new areas of activities
- Very strong ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders
- Lead and motivate a team for optimum performance, supervising junior staff
- Over 8 years of professional experience in designing and/or overseeing monitoring and evaluation activities (e.g. needs assessment, impact evaluations, quantitative and/or qualitative analysis, cost-effectiveness studies, surveys)
- Strong experience in project management and leading M&E projects in complex international organization with diverse programs and geographic foci.
- Relevant sectoral expertise (public health, health sector, non-profit, pharmaceutical industry, working with large global health organizations)
- Experience translating technical findings into actionable recommendations for program managers
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and matrix structure
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse teams in an international, multicultural context
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in economics, econometrics, statistics, public policy, public health, or other quantitative field.
- Essential: English, including English writing at an academic level
- French and/or Spanish and/or other language of a country where DNDi has projects would be an added advantage
- Essential: MS Office, with strong knowledge of Excel
- Preferred: use or knowledge of statistical software packages
- Please submit your application using the online form
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 15 December 2021
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Application submission for this position may close early if we have enough suitable applicants