The Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) is an international, not-for-profit research and development (R&D) organization that develops and delivers new treatments for neglected diseases that affect millions of the world’s poorest people.
Together with more than 200 public research and industry allies worldwide, we use the power of partnership, innovation, open science, and advocacy to find solutions to a great injustice: the lack of medicines for life-threatening diseases that disproportionately impact poor and marginalized people. Driven by collaboration, not competition, and by patients’ needs, not profits, we promote equitable access, foster inclusive and sustainable solutions, and advocate for a more effective global biomedical R&D system that meets the needs of neglected patients.
Since our inception, DNDi has delivered nine new treatments for people with sleeping sickness, visceral leishmaniasis, Chagas disease, paediatric HIV, hepatitis C, and malaria that have saved millions of lives. We now aim to deliver an additional 15-18 new treatments by 2028 – addressing R&D gaps for neglected tropical diseases and viral infections, including pandemic-prone and climate-sensitive diseases.
With 250 employees of 37 nationalities located in nine offices on four continents, DNDi is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential parts of our culture and key drivers of our success. We encourage candidates of diverse profiles and backgrounds to apply.
IST department vision: To support the execution of DNDi strategy by providing expertise, solutions and tools that enable to enhance information sharing, support decision-making and reduce risks.
IST department mission: To develop and maintain adapted, reliable, flexible, scalable technical solutions, practices or processes that enable DNDi development and effectiveness across Departments and Offices.
In particular, the IST department:
- Provides leadership on IST matters
- Builds solutions adapted to business needs
- Smoothly runs systems and tools to support daily operations
Purpose of the position
DNDi is a knowledge-based organization, our network of partners is a key asset, the data we generate is the future of our performance in achieving our mission. DNDi is also rapidly digitalizing most of its processes and the integration of all these sources will lay the foundation of a comprehensive organizational performance management.
The Information System Manager acts as the IST business partner for data governance and DNDi information system related development. The incumbent is responsible to reinforce the IST team project management capability in the area of information system and data management, data governance, and system architecture (act as data governance champion). The SISM provides functional analysis and function as the first point of contact for our CRM (Salesforce). The position holder coordinates DNDi data warehouse development and global reporting initiative.
Specific job responsibilities
Project management (40%)
This role is accountable for managing IST projects, or delivering quality output through expert services or people.
- Responsible for planning, overseeing and leading projects from ideation through to completion.
- Requires interaction with a range of internal and external stakeholders most often managing several moving project parts simultaneously.
- Support the HR team in their HRIS implementation, integration and evolution.
- Determine and define project scope and objectives
- Predict resources needed to reach objectives and manage resources in an effective and efficient manner
- Prepare budget based on scope of work and resource requirements
- Track project costs in order to meet budget
- Develop and manage a detailed project schedule and work plan
- Provide project updates on a consistent basis to various stakeholders about strategy, adjustments, and progress
- Manage contracts with vendors and suppliers by assigning tasks and communicating expected deliverables
- Utilize industry best practices, techniques, and standards throughout entire project execution
- Monitor progress and make adjustments as needed
- Measure project performance to identify areas for improvement
Data governance (30%)
Our organization will require that an Information System Manager implement, lead and manage all organization-wide data governance activities and will have responsibility for improving the quality and managing the protection of sensitive data and information assets. The position will focus on establishing and ensuring adherence to an enterprise data governance framework for data policies, standards, and practices, both at the R&D and back-office level, to achieve the required level of consistency, quality and protection.
The Information System Manager serves as a point of escalation for governance, data quality and protection issues and will work closely with Core Business and Functional area leadership to improve the quality and value of core data assets, respond to regulatory protection requirements as well as support the strategic requirements of the department.
- Establish and govern an organisation wide data governance implementation roadmap including strategic priorities for development of information-based capabilities
- Roll out an enterprise-wide data governance framework, with a focus on improvement of data quality and the protection of sensitive data through modifications to organization behavior policies and standards, principles, governance metrics, processes, related tools and data architecture
- Serve as a liaison between Business and Functional areas and technology to ensure that data related business requirements for protecting sensitive data are clearly defined, communicated, and well understood and considered as part of operational prioritization and planning
- Develop & maintain inventory of the enterprise information maps, including authoritative systems, owners
- Define indicators of performance and quality metrics and ensure compliance with data related policies, standards, roles and responsibilities, and adoption requirements
- Provide progress reports to Board management and oversee periodic updates to the Department Data Governance Roadmap
- Build DNDi data warehousing and corporate reporting capabilities
- Specify and implement a global analytics capability for DNDi, including data warehouse, report broadcast and live queries.
- Connect and maintain interfaces between all critical applications in accordance with the global data governance
Salesforce business partner (30%)
One of DNDi mission critical system is the CRM (salesforce). It needs to be adequately governed, organized to evolves in a sustainable manner continuously provide value to our teams. This coordination and governance effort requires on ongoing support with a specific blend of expertise, technical and methodological. The incumbent will act as the business partner for the development of our CRM covering the following topics, event management, newsletter, Business Development, Fundraising, R&D projects, contract management system amongst others.
- Define the business problem and primary objectives of new projects. Identify and validate the key business requirements. Focus the organization’s use of data towards what best serves the mission
- Lead cross-functional business process re-engineering teams and continuous improvement efforts.
- Create functional requirements use cases. Coordinate requirements walk-through and signoffs, verifying with stakeholders that use cases and process models accurately portray specific business needs.
- Supported by a CRM expert company, Serve as primary system administrator for the Salesforce environment with 200+ users
- Handle all basic administrative functions including user maintenance, modification of page layouts, generation of reports and dashboards, creation of new fields and other routine tasks
- Automate processes using Salesforce tools such as process builder, approval processes, validation rules, and Nonprofit Success Pack features such as engagement plans and levels
- Identify, install and maintain appropriate apps from the AppExchange for event management, mass email, donation handling, and more
- Train new users and grow the Salesforce skill set across the organization
- Plan ahead for upgrades, seasonal releases and long-term projects
- The Information System Manager reports to Head of IST and functionally reports to the Senior Information System Manager on Financial related projects.
Skills and attributes
- Strong ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment and problem-solving competencies
- Strong communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments
- Strong ability to work effectively as part of a multicultural team
- Well organized and structured
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong ability to provide high level support in project/programme delivery
- Strong ability to manage medium/large projects with budget management
- Strategic thinking and leadership abilities
- Strong management, negotiation, and advocacy skills
- Has autonomy for taking actions and decisions
- Strong ability to interact with external stakeholders
- Lead and motivate a small team for optimum performance, supervising junior staff
- Knowledge of industry leading data quality and data protection management practices
- Knowledge of data governance practices, business and technology issues related to management of enterprise information assets and approaches related to data protection
- Demonstrated consulting skills, with change management concepts and strategies, including communication, culture change and performance measurement system design
- Good understanding of agile methodology, project management certification
- Manage data models and standards needed for data exchange across systems and teams
- Minimum 6 years' relevant experience in which at least 4 years at Senior Officer level
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and matrix structure
- Experience of working in public and private sector is highly desirable
- Experienced with at least one reporting tool (PowerBI, Tableau, Business Object…)
- At least 5 years of experience with Salesforce, ideally NPSP (a certification a plus)
- Advanced post graduate degree or graduate degree with equivalent in experience to reach Master level
- Fluency in English
- Proficiency in local languages desirable
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Status: Full time – open-ended staff contract
- Please submit your application using the online form
- Deadline for application: Accepting applications until 30 September 2021
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Application submission for this position may close early if we have enough suitable applicants